Objective: Being an affiliated college the students have to appear for the end semester exams conducted by the university in addition to the mid examinations conducted by the institution. The students in pre final year of their undergraduate program have to parallelly fine tune their domain skills through training and certification programs and further enhance their social skills. In the student’s performance in first semester of final year is positive and good, it also enhances students moral and enhances their confidence and encourages them to focus and prepare for GATE examination and also employment related examinations in final year. Hence the primary objective is to enhance final year’s first semester university results.
Context: Based on the four previous semester university results it was noticed that the student performance in the first semester of fourth year across all branches was declining. This decline in pass percentage has not only made the students with low moral and also made the students to focus clearing the backlogs in third year there by their preparation for placements in final year through acquiring the domain skills and socially relevant skills was taken a back stage. Such a scenario had infected students’ performance in final year placements related activities. Hence it was identified and decided to device a mechanism to enhance and prepare the students better for the fourth year first semester examination. The main challenge in addressing this was to redefine the assessment method currently in use however since being an affiliated institute, the assessment practices through examinations cannot be altered. Therefore, it was very pertinent that within the framework of the regulations of the university the new mechanism of preparing the students for the examination.
The practice: Synopsis (detailed lecture schedule) was made very elaborate by including the schedule of the invited guest faculty/training/workshop, schedule of industrial visit if any and also schedule of the tutorials, details of the electronic resources such as NPTEL material and also schedule of unit test after completion of syllabus of each unit. Conduct of such unit tests is not the requirements of the university however the institute is introduced this practice for all the third year first semester students during the academic session 2018-19. The performance of the students in each unit test was evaluated and appropriate feedback was provided on time. Secondly, after two units an assignment is given to students so as to verify the efficacy of the reinforcement of their learning in the contents of the syllabus taught until then. The unit test and assignments after every unit continued until the end of the semester. Before the students appeared for the university examinations “A mock Exam” was conducted for each subject so as to check the preparation of the student and performance. This three phase examination in addition to the university prescribed examination certain academic hours have to be extended there by faculty members have to be convinced to work for longer hours and also to provide better feedback on the way the student have been performing the examinations.
1. The goal of this institute is to appreciate the work done by the teaching staff, non-teaching staff and students of the institute and motivate them to excel in their areas of expertise. This practice would help them positively in their performance as per the quality policy to achieve the Vision and Mission of the institute.The institute believes that a motivated workforce (Staff and Students) can be a significant factor in institute’s success. When staff and students are motivated to work at higher levels of their skills and abilities, the institute as a whole runs more efficiently and is more effective at achieving its objectives and goals. For this reason, the institute has understood the power of reward systems and how they are helpful in influencing Students and Faculty behavior.
2.“Campus to career” training sessions are organised for final year students to prepare them for industries and sensitize them for work etiquette. This includes:
– Time Management, Planning and Prioritization
– Attitude, Verbal and Nonverbal Skills
– Effective Communication Skills
– Group Discussion and Team Building Skills
3. In education, teachers facilitate student learning which helps students expression skills for knowledge and thinking ability. Different ways to teach are often referred to as pedagogy. Teaching using pedagogy involves assessing the educational levels of the students on particular skills. Understanding the pedagogy of the students in the class room involves using differentialized instruction as well as supervision to meet the needs of all students in the classroom.